The Charity Commissioners formally set up the Trust Fund in May 1999.
This followed negotiations with Leeds City Council over a number of years for the proceeds from the sale of the former village Youth Club to be returned to the village.
A Youth Club had run successfully in Bramhope for many years and latterly occupied a building in Breary Lane. This building was known as the ‘Old School and School Masters House’. Over the years this building had been used for other purposes but had been bequeathed to the village by Eliza Dawson back in 1873.
The Trust has recognised this historical fact by naming its individual award
‘The Dawson Award‘.